How To Use And Calibrate A Cooking Thermometer – Complete Instruction
Battery Installation In The Digital Instant-Read Thermometer
Replace the battery when the LCD display becomes dim.
- Remove battery cover on front with a coin.
- Install one LR44 battery (watch battery) with + positive side up.
- Fasten battery cover.
Operating Instructions For The Instant-Read Thermometer
Accurate Temperature Measurement
- Press ON/OFF button to turn the instant-read thermometer on
- Clean thermometer stem and insert the tip into food or liquid for accurate reading
Right Temperature Scale
Press .F / .C button to switch between Fahrenheit or Celsius
Before withdrawing the digital thermometer, press the HOLD button, this will hold the temperature reading until pressed again. “H” will appear in the LCD.
- Press MAX button to read the highest temperature detected. “MAX” will appear on the display.
- Press MAX button a 2nd time to display the lowest temperature reading detected. “MIN” will appear on the display.
Self-Calibration (Your Meat Thermometer Comes Pre-Calibrated)
- Place the stem into at least 1 inch of crushed-ice water. Don’t let the stem touch the bottom of container.
- To avoid accidental recalibration, this function works only when the ambient temperature is 32 to 34 °F.
- When temperature is within range, press the CAL button to recalibrate the food thermometer.
Do not leave the digital instant-read thermometer in hot oven or microwave. Extended exposure to high temperatures may damage electronic components. The digital instant-read thermometer is hand wash only. Do not place in dishwasher.
We hope this tutorial was helpful! Let us know in the comment section bellow if you're already using this handy tool!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you know if a thermometer is accurate?
The best way to check a thermometer’s accuracy is in a glass of ice cold water. Fill a regular glass with ice before adding water. Insert the thermometer and give it about 30 seconds to hit the correct temperature. If it doesn’t read 32 degrees F, it is not accurate and needs calibration before use.
How often should a thermometer be calibrated?
You should always calibrate a new thermometer because you don't know how long it’s been sitting in a warehouse. Other than that, it’s a good idea to calibrate your thermometer anytime it’s dropped or is used in extreme temperature differences, like going from cold water to a boiling temperature.
Do you have to calibrate a digital thermometer?
Yes, even digital thermometers should be calibrated. Follow the steps described in this article to make sure your thermometer is accurate and properly calibrated.
How often should you replace the batteries in a digital thermometer?
When the thermometer no longer turns on or the digital read-out has dulled to the point where it is hard to read, it’s time to replace the batteries in your digital thermometer. Depending on the brand and age of the thermometer, these batteries should last for quite a while before needing to be replaced.
What is a self-calibrating thermometer?
A self-calibrating thermometer doesn’t require any manual intervention to ensure the accuracy of the thermometer. It usually works by placing the thermometer in an ice-cold glass of water. When the thermometer should reach 32 degrees F, it resets its calibration point. Most thermometers require you to hit a calibration button, while others automatically reset.