The Tastes of USA BBQ: Best Barbecue in Memphis
Welcome back barbecue adventurers! Here is the third installment of The Tastes of USA Memphis BBQ edition.
Memphis barbecue is a style of barbecue that uses a slow cooking method as well, and locals use a pit to cook the meat. Memphis is also known for their tasty barbecue pulled pork sandwiches.
Additionally, the ribs are prepared wet with barbecue sauce or dry with a rub. Today we are going through BBQ in Memphis where we give step by step guides on how to prepare a special Memphis style barbecue sauce that could be used for Memphis style ribs and a delicious Memphis BBQ burger.
Memphis Style BBQ Sauce
This sauce is a delicious example of Memphis BBQ!
- Two cups of ketchup
- Half cup of brown sugar
- One fourth a cup of cider vinegar
- Half teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- One tablespoon of onion, garlic and chili powder
- One tablespoon of pepper/salt/paprika
- Two Teaspoons of liquid smoke
- Three tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce
- Two tablespoons of canola oil
- Half teaspoon of celery seed
- Half cup of yellow mustard sauce
- Combine all the ingredients listed above with a whisk besides the oil.
- In a pot, cook on top of the stove for 30 minutes on a medium-high heat and then adjust the heat to a simmer.
- Make sure to stir occasionally, and after the cooking process is completed, stir in the canola oil and refrigerate the sauce for up to an hour to let flavors blend.
Memphis Ribs on the Grill Recipe
Here is an easy Memphis recipe for the best ribs that kicks it up with some hickory!
- Two portions of pork ribs (3 pounds each)
- Step 1 – When you open the packaging make sure to rise and dry the rips. Then place the ribs on the cutting board and remove the membrane from the ribs. Finally clean them off by cutting off excess fat. Then marinate the ribs in the BBQ sauce that we made above for around half an hour.
- Step 2- Prepare your charcoal grill by using hickory and charcoal. You want your charcoal grill to be at least 250 degrees F. Cook the pork ribs meat side down for 2 hours and then turn them on the other side and cook for another hour or so until the ribs can easily bend or they can be easily pierced by a fork. Make sure to keep on brushing Memphis BBQ sauce every half hour while they are cooking.
- Step 3 – Separate ribs into serving portion and enjoy!
Memphis BBQ Burger
- Half pound of ground pork
- Half pound of ground beef
- Tablespoon of salt/pepper/paprika
- Tablespoon of garlic and chili powder
- Cheddar cheese (sliced)
- Red onion (sliced)
- Pickles (sandwich slices)
- Combine both the ground pork and beef with the seasoning listed above.
- Make the ground meat into four burger patties.
- Preheat grill to a medium-high temperature and cook the patties for 5 to 6 minutes each side and their internal temperature should be 140 degrees F.
- Place the cheddar cheese on top of each patty and let it melt for around one minute.
- On a toasted bun, add the patty with Memphis style BBQ sauce, red onion, and pickles. Enjoy!
Thanks for checking our today’s Taste of USA BBQ. We head over for some Oklahoma BBQ next time!