Grilled Apple Cinnamon Slices Dessert
Have you ever wanted to make a dessert on the grill? But what could you grill? Can you find anything to help your sweet tooth? How could you even cook a dessert on the grill?
What if you need a dessert that is a little bit healthier, or is vegan? What if you are just beginning to master the fine art of grilling but you are not ready for more advanced recipes?
Well, you can grill your own desserts and they will even be healthy. This recipe only takes a couple tablespoons of honey and no sugar. It is also made with apples and cinnamon, both of which are rich with nutrients.
It is also a good recipe for beginners and takes less than twenty minutes to make. You can also modify this recipe for grilled apple cinnamon slices dessert to be vegan if you want.
A Healthy Dessert
This dessert will be something the whole family will love and you can even claim their healthy because it is apples and cinnamon. These grilled apple slices will warm you up on a crisp autumn night and leave you satisfied for the rest of the night.
This grilled apple cinnamon slices dessert will smell enticing while cooking and will not disappoint when eating. So next time you are having a cookout and the evening is winding down and getting a little bit colder, surprise everyone with this grilled dessert. It is perfect to eat around a campfire, or for an intimate gathering on the patio and it will let everyone leave happy.
To make grilled apple cinnamon slices dessert, you will need these four simple ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of honey
If you do not care for honey, or you do not eat it for ethical or health reasons, then you can use agave as an alternative. The dessert will be sweet but have a different flavor. Honey is recommended but it is up to the preferences of the cook.
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons of butter
You can also use a butter substitute like margarine or a healthier alternative like "I Can't Believe It's Not Butter" or EarthBalance. Butter is recommended to give it a richer taste, but if you do not use butter for health or ethical reasons, then using your favorite butter substitute will work without hurting the other flavors.
- 3 honeycrisp apples, cut into 3/4 inch slices
You can also use McIntosh apples, Pink Lady, or Macoun. These apples will all give crisp and intense flavors. I would not recommend using Golden Delicious or Red Delicious because the apple slices are softer and cook differently.
Nor would I use Granny Smith apples because their tartness undercuts the taste of the honey, and a lot more than two tablespoons of honey would be needed to make granny smith apples a dessert.
However, the most important thing when choosing apples is to make sure they are ripe and fresh. This recipe does not work as well if the apples are starting to go bad.
1) Line your apple slices up on a plate. Use a buttering brush to brush both sides of each apple slice with melted butter, or your favorite butter substitute. Make sure every inch is coated and keep any remaining chunks of solid butter off the apples. Otherwise they will cook unevenly and you will not get the nice color and grill marks that you want.
2) Grill the apple slices directly on the grill for about six minutes on either side, or until grill marks appear. Do not cook on a tray if you want grill marks, but if they are not important to you and you feel more comfortable cooking with a tray, then do so. It will not affect the apples cooking otherwise.
Take the apple slices off immediately to avoid burning and turn off your grill. By now the smell of the cooked apples will have permeated through the air, and you can enjoy that while carrying on with steps 3 and 4.
3) Arrange the apple slices on a plate in any pattern you want. Sprinkle with cinnamon and drizzle with honey. Make sure all the slices have a nice coating of each but do not drown the slices in either. You want to make sure you can still taste the apple through the cinnamon and honey. If there is not enough cinnamon or honey for your tastes in the recipe, then feel free to add more. Enjoy with your whole family, or hoard them for yourself if you want. After all, you cooked them. You get to enjoy them however you want.
4) Pair with your favorite beverage for even better results. I like it with hot apple cider or a hot cup of tea myself.
It also goes well with a glass of wine or a bottle of beer. I do not recommend hot chocolate or any other beverage that is too sweet because there is not enough flavor contrast and the flavors will all blend together. You want to experience every unique and delicious flavor in both your beverage and your grilled apple cinnamon slices dessert so choose a beverage that is not sweet and will contrast nicely and complement your grilled apple slices.
Did you enjoy this deliciously easy recipe? This is an excellent recipe for an autumn dessert you can cook on the grill. It is easy, tastes amazing, and will warm you up on a crisp, September night.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do. It is a nice and easy recipe to do on the grill and a perfect grilled dessert when you have a sweet tooth.
Have you tried out the recipe before? What did you think of it? Tell me in the comments and feel free to ask any questions you might have. If you liked this recipe and you think others might like it as well, then feel free to share it on your favorite social media accounts. Happy grilling.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the best apple for grilling?
Different apple types will range in flavor of tart or sweet. If you want something more on the tart side, go with a Granny Smith. However, if you want something sweet, try Fuji, Piñata, Pink Lady or Honeycrisp.
All of these apples are great choices because their hardy texture stands up to the trial of high heat.
How do you grill apples?
Brush your apple slices with melted butter on both sides. Then, grill for about 6 minutes on each side or until you notice grill marks.
What you do afterwards is sprinkle the grilled apple slices with cinnamon and drizzle honey over them.
How long does it take to grill an apple slice?
First, slice your apple into 3/4 inch slices. If you have brushed both sides of the apple with butter and the grill is hot, it should take about 5-6 minutes for each side.
If you see grill marks appear before then, by all means, you are done!
What makes a good dish to eat grilled apples with?
Grilled apples are great side dishes for steak, chicken, or portobello burgers.
You can also use them for dessert and serve them with chocolate mousse.